A new EPX Roadster to add to my Proton T Bolt
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
tonyontopofabighill

--
17 Sep 2021 5:15 PM
    I just bought this EPX Roadster (circa 2003). It was for sale in a 2nd hand shop in Nerang QLD. It was a bit of a job to get it sent down to me in NSW with Covid lockdowns etc.
    I just love the look of this thing. It is a bit knocked around with chips on the frame paint work. I have already bought the hub motor for the front wheel as I want to leave the rear belt drive and internal geared hub alone.
    I noticed on a pic of a Terrashark ,I think ,that someone had put a drink bottle holder on the top of their frame? I would like to do this so as to put the battery holder up there. On the Proton T Bolt there were drink bottle lugs on the bottom of the frame so I was able to put the battery nice and low and out of the way. It works quite well in that position. I am presuming it is not a good idea to put holes in the carbon frame?
    Has anyone got any info on the EPX synchronous drive system as to how to set it up and adjust the belt tension etc. I cannot find any info on it, just the gates belt system.
    I will upload some pics when I can work out how to reduce the size ot the files.

Cheers,
    Tony.
    Attachments
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Sep 2021 5:53 PM
    Hi Tony

This is really handy image resizer if you are on a PC:
    https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

Just install it, then right click your images and select 'Resize Pictures'. Then select the 'Custom' size option and insert 800x800 as the size. Untick the option to 'Resize the Original Picture' so that you don't overwrite your originals. I believe this is unticked by default anyway.

That looks like a UK model bike, with that logo. It might have belonged to one of the guys involved in design or production. The brochure you can download from a post on the homepage here shows exactly that bike.

I'd certainly avoid any drilling into the carbon, but you could likely bond some fasteners or brackets to the frame with care and some epoxy.

Regarding the drive system, I haven't seen anyone with any info here. People often ask about that unit but nothing comes up. I've got a Speedster frame which is basically the same and I've been considering making it electric and will be keen to see what you do.
    Rob
    tonyontopofabighill

--
    21 Sep 2021 9:23 PM
    Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply. I am on a Mac. I did try and resize the pics but did they still come out too big?
    I was pretty sure I could not drill into the frame so will avoid that and put the battery on a rack on the seat post. I am only going to use a fairly small battery so should not be a problem on the rear.

I am still learning about electric bike throttles so will try installing the front hub motor when I get the throttle sorted out. I will post the progress.
    I have looked at the EPX brochure many times and dreamed of having one of these roadsters.

Cheers,
    Tony.
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Sep 2021 2:47 PM
    Hi Tony

Not sure about Macs, but this page has some info on it: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/resiz...es-iphoto/

I'm also unfamiliar with all the necessary parts for making it electric. I only recently discovered you need a great big controller box in addition to the motor and the battery... and there I thought hooking a motor up to a battery would do it!

I've seen suggestions for putting it on a luggage carrier attached to the seat stem. But that's pretty ugly. I'd have thought there would be something compact and tidy... like all those electric scooters. Maybe the issue is that they won't go as far.
    Rob
    tonyontopofabighill

--
    25 Sep 2021 8:36 PM
    HI Rob,

You can buy hub motors with an internal controller. Check out Golden motor hub motorshttps://goldenmotor.bike/product/ma...sion-kit/I have got one of these for my bike. I will be putting it on the front wheel this time as opposed to the rear wheel as the new Epx has the belt drive system and I do not want to mess with that. I will keep you posted as to my progress. There are a few issues with the hub motor as I purchased it 2nd hand.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.