You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
robert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Mar 2022 10:08 PM
    My bike has been disintegrating in the garage for years, but now I've finally got around to pulling it to pieces for a cleanup and rebuild.

I'll start a thread here and post some photos along the way.

I received my bike as a final payment for building the EPX website and doing some other work way back. I took some photos with a Sony digital video camera that could also take small 800px images. The files are dated 27 July 2002.

The first image here is the box when it arrived.

I also got a couple of EPX t-shirts and a matching water bottle in the box, all of which I still have.

It came with the 'EPXtras' carbon seat post and carbon handlebars

I assembled it in the lounge

Attachments
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Mar 2022 10:23 PM
    And I started taking photos of the rebuilding, but not with the intent of posting anything here. For that reason there isn't a logical sequence, just a random set of photos.

The brakes were always very screechy. It looks to me like it had sintered pads and should instead have had organics. I've found some replacement organics and I'm betting that will fix the brakes up nicely.

Everything is pretty filthy

Plenty of corrosion

I spent a long time cleaning the spokes and wheels and then dropped them into a bike shop for new tires, tubes and to check the spoke tension. I chose some tires that have a fairly linear central tread for easy city riding. Here they are cleaned up and ready to go.

Photos of the cables so I know where they were.

Also purchased a new chain and new grips.

The bar frame and forks were looking pretty bad, but all in one piece.

Attachments
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Mar 2022 10:31 PM
    And moving right along, a look inside the headstock

And the frame number

My hanger is bent - this will be why I could never get it to shift with any precision.

Lucky I had the foresight to purchase one of Asher's strong replacement parts way back then, just in case I needed it. Even luckier was that I found it after all these years!.. and also found the extended shock mount I purchased.

I also had a roll of some special non-aging urethane tape. I used it to protect the frame where I could tell it was going to get worn from leaning against things. I even still have the same roll of tape and it actually is still like new.. good stuff.

The tape will come off and it'll be like new under there.

Wheels, swingarm and forks are done.

Attachments
    Derek22464

--
    05 Mar 2022 4:35 AM
    Looking good, Robert!
    Derek22464

--
    05 Mar 2022 4:43 AM
    Oh, and rather incredibly, my Terrashark will be 21 years' old in June this year.

My rear derailleur hanger failed too and I bought a replacement from Asher as well.

I've changed the front shifters, front fork, rear shock and tyres over time. I also treated myself to a carbon handlebar and seatpost too, but the basic frame is still going strong and it's still my main commuter bike.
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Mar 2022 3:57 PM
    Yes, I think if I were going to do any serious riding I'd replace the forks and shock as well.
    Wilto70

--
    07 Mar 2022 1:54 AM
    Hi. Do you know anyone who would like to buy Terrashark frames? I have 2 frames. 1 has the extended suspension part fitted. I have 1 or 2 spare hangers and I think I have another suspension extension bracket. I am in Australia.
    Wilto70

--
    07 Mar 2022 1:57 AM
    I am am older member. Can't remember my old username so I had to start a new account. Have had my terrasharks and EPX 303 from new for donkey's years.
    [email protected]

--
    07 Mar 2022 11:06 AM
    Hi Wilto

There's a forum for that purpose on the website here: https://www.epxbikes.com/Forum/aff/35

Start a new thread there.

But also of course eBay or also Gumtree in Australia.
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Mar 2022 11:26 AM
    Had another good couple of afternoons working on the bike this weekend.

I replaced these bearings with new ones. The bearing races have had corrosion and if I had new ones I'd replace them as well. Maybe next time. I juts cleaned them up this time and it's not noticeable.

There was corrosion all over the place.

It cleaned up well

Brakes cleaned up and new organic pads. The original sintered pads were noisy and abrasive.

Frame back together

Attachments
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Mar 2022 11:29 AM
    Found some wear in the carbon

Another number.. seems this would be the serial - 0958

New chain... and I used one of these links to make it easier to remove and clean.

And I'm looking for another one of these if anyone has one in tidy condition? It covers the screw in the crank arm.

Attachments
    tonyontopofabighill

--
    23 Mar 2022 9:35 AM
    Hi Willo,

Do you still have the frames and bits and pieces for sale?
    tonyontopofabighill

--
    23 Mar 2022 9:41 AM
    G'day Rob,

Looking good.
    I will add another story soon and some pics of the roadster I electrified.

Cheers,
    Tony.
    Wilto70

--
    23 Mar 2022 10:16 AM
    Yes. I do.
    tonyontopofabighill

--
    23 Mar 2022 4:17 PM
    Hi Willo,

How can I contact you.

Tony
    Wilto70

--
    23 Mar 2022 8:40 PM
    Hi Tony. My email address is [email protected]
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Apr 2022 9:26 PM
    Took a while to get back to the bike. Finally finished it today.

I suggest not letting the screw separate from the nut behind this hole.. bit of a pain to get it back in!

Here's the new much stronger bracket installed:

Also beware of removing this sticker. I was liking the blacked out look and decided to take the stickers off. They are hard to remove and once gone you can see why they put them on.

They cover the weld/join in the rims. Not a biggie but still.

I set up the brakes and the change gear with the bike suspended like this.

And then I was done!

It's nice to get it cleaned up and working again. I think if I were serious about riding I'd set it with all new gearing and suspension. But this will do me for the foreseeable future.

I noticed some faults in the design. I think the bracket for the front gear change is too weak and the flex it makes it difficult to set it up reliably.

The adjusters that set the limits for that derailleur are impossible to get at with any kind of screwdriver. You have to use needlenose pliers and move them a tiny bit at a time.

And there are the little cable channels built into the frame. As the bike has hydraulic brakes, they can't be used. So the bikes has little brackets on some of them to hold the hoses off to the side.

The shock can't be detached at the base without also undoing the top end because you can't get to the sideways screw and you have to remove the bracket from the frame altogether to get at it.

Anyhow.. it's all done and dusted!
    Rob
    Attachments
    Derek22464

--
    08 Apr 2022 10:48 PM
    Well done, Rob!

You're right about the front gear change - mine basically changes when it feels like it, or not at all when it's cold and we're just coming to the end of Winter here in the UK!

Hope you'll enjoy riding it after all your hard work.
    tonyontopofabighill

--
    09 Apr 2022 3:50 PM
    Well done Rob....looking good!
    robert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Apr 2022 1:50 PM
    Thanks guys

I always thought I was a bit too big for the bike and riding it again felt the same. There was actually a long wheelbase version of the frame available but it apparently didn't handle well and I was talked out of it.

The main point though was to show it some care and bring it back to life. Always felt bad that it sat there looking sad for so long. With this out of the way I can feel better about working on some other things!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>